Featured above is Dallas (ATB). He loved naps and car rides.
Adopting a Basset Hound
We appreciate your interest in adding a new member to your family! Minnesota Basset Rescue is committed to finding loving forever homes for our dogs and only have a few requests from those looking to adopt.
- We don't want to state the obvious, but make sure that you and your family is ready and willing to take care of a dog. Dogs are a big responsibility, but well worth it.
- What personality type would fit into your home? Traits to consider include ease with children and other pets, activity level, age and gender. Answering these questions can help us match you with a companion that fits your lifestyle.
- Once a match is made and the adoption finalized, keep in mind that your newly adopted dog may need time and space to get used to their new surroundings. They've been through a lot and it could take up to a month for them to fully adjust and show you their true personality.
Adoption fees are used to cover the costs of the dogs while in our care. While we ask for a flat, age-based fee, we do not limit the cost spent on taking care of a dog once in our care. We ensure each dog has had their recent health checkup, proper vaccinations and heartworm medication prior to adoption. If necessary, we also provide additional visits for specific health concerns, surgery necessary for quality of life, training or therapy, or special food for those with diet restrictions.
- Puppies (under one year old) - $350
- Adults (1 to 7 years old) - $300
- Seniors (8+ years old) - $200
- Bonded Pair - case by case basis
*Please note we are required to charge sales tax of 8.025% in accordance with MN state law.
For adoptions outside Minnesota, an additional fee of $25 for a Health Certificate is required.
If you're looking to adopt from Minnesota Basset Rescue, please do the following:
- Fill out the Adoption Application form below or Click Here for a PDF version.
- Review our Adoption Policy
Even if you haven't found the perfect pup, it will secure your adoption status so when you do find an ideal dog, we can proceed in a timely manner. If you're not sure what you're looking for we'd be happy to help with suggestions based on your lifestyle and your personality.
We understand the form is long, but please remember we would like to ensure that our dogs are matched with the perfect forever home. Once submitted, our adoption coordinator will contact you to discuss any questions or concerns regarding your application and to get to know you a bit better. Thank you for your time and interest in becoming a forever family!
All current or recent pet(s), both dogs and cats, MUST be current on his or her vaccinations for you to be eligible to be approved for adoption. For dogs we require rabies, distemper, and annual heartworm tests and preventatives. For cats we require rabies and distemper.
Contact your veterinarian and inform them MNBR will be calling and that they have your permission to speak with us. Please ensure your pet(s) vaccinations are up-to-date BEFORE submitting your application.